Summer Student - Grounds Keeper & General Duties - District of Timiskaming Social Services Administration Board (DTSSAB), Timiskaming Shores & Surrounding Area, ON
Summer / Student • Temiskaming Shores Region
We are currently seeking a responsible and dynamic candidate to join our team:
Summer Student – Grounds Keeping & General Duties 35 Hours per Week / Monday to Friday / Temiskaming Shores & Surrounding Area Social Housing Buildings Competition Number : 20-06
The District of Timiskaming Social Services Administration Board supports individuals in need throughout our communities by delivering Children’s Services, Emergency Medical Services, Ontario Works and Social Housing through the effective use of available resources and in the best interest of the individuals we support. We are committed to serving and treating others through actions and values based on integrity and respect.
Hourly Rate and Hours of Work: $15.00 per hour (35 hours per week / from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
- Reporting to the Social Housing Maintenance Supervisor (or Housing Services Manager) the summer student will attend multiple Social Housing buildings in Temiskaming Shores and surrounding area to perform duties that may vary from one location to the next.
- Assignments will be primarily focused on outdoor maintenance (i.e.: grounds keeping and grass cutting) and may include assisting Building Custodian staff with indoor janitorial work and preventative maintenance checks.
- This position is unionized.
In this position you will:
- Ensure regular, reliable and punctual attendance at work
- Interact pleasantly with building tenants and refer requests or questions to the Maintenance Supervisor
- Maintain grounds and perform general yard work (i.e.: cut grass with a walk-behind lawn mower, lawn tractor, gas-powered grass trimmer; fertilize, seed and trim/prune using garden tools, hedge trimmers, other varied equipment)
- Clean debris from public areas of the buildings, sweep walkways, empty outside trash bins, other
- Assist with general indoor cleanup duties, clean the interior of building common areas (i.e.: building entrances, washrooms, windows, etc.), dispose of garbage and recyclable items and maintain the garbage room
- Identify and report injuries, health and safety concerns, vandalism or property damage to the Maintenance Supervisor
- Complete other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Currently enrolled full-time as a student and returning to post-secondary studies in the fall
- Prior related and relevant experience is considered an asset
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (listening, verbal and written abilities) to work well as a team member and to interact and deal tactfully with members of the Social Housing Team, building tenants and members of the general public
- Ability to understand verbal and written instructions, effectively follow directions/well-defined steps, as well as learn new skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work performed, as well as the ability to complete tasks safely within assigned timeframes
- Demonstrated use of sound judgment, common sense practices, initiative and resourcefulness
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina, and coordination to perform manual outdoor work in inclement weather (at times)
- Proficient communication skills in English (spoken and written); bilingualism is considered an asset
- Ability to travel to assigned building locations using own transportation
- Computer proficiency and ability to learn general office procedures and use simple office technology
We thank all applicants for their interest References will be requested when invited to an interview. Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, the successful candidate will:
- Provide a current Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Search as well as a Ministry of Transportation Driver’s Abstract/Statement of Driving Record, which must be satisfactory to the Employer in its sole discretion
- Submit a pre-employment medical assessment/post-offer job screen confirming the ability to perform position duties
- Possess and maintain a requisite driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle, as travelling to and from different assigned building locations is a daily requirement of this position
A cover letter and resume are to be forwarded by the deadline of 9:00 a.m. Monday, February 24, 2020 to email@example.com.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding a disability-related accommodation required to participate in the hiring process.
The DTSSAB is an equal opportunity employer. Information is collected under the authority of the
Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes.